Thursday, April 19, 2012

Aquaman returns


Henceforth in this blog I will refer to Husband as "Aquaman".  It is more appropriate than simply "Husband" after all, given that he is a marine biologist and loves all things ocean.

Aquaman has been gone on a 10 day trip offshore, taking data for NOAA that will be used in fisheries management.  I love NOAA, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.  They are the ones that warn us of bad weather, hurricanes, tornadoes, tsunamis...you name it.  If it's bad, NOAA's on it.  As if the atmosphere weren't enough, there's also the ocean to contend with.  Yep, they do that, too.  But most of all, I love this government agency because it is the perfect niche for Aquaman.  He doesn't have to wear a tie to work.  He doesn't have to sit behind a desk in an office.  He is out on the water doing what he loves to do.

So Aquaman spends a lot of time on boats.  When he's gone, I miss him.  This trip was probably the perfect length, not like the 56-day one he had a few months back.  That one was hard (I wrote about it here).  This one was do-able.  And I think I've come to believe that absence really does make the heart grow fonder.  I've even been reading about it in this book, Mating in Captivity by Esther Perel.  She makes a good argument that distance is necessary in a marriage and our culture's equality, togetherness and honesty may not always be good things for (ahem) the bedroom.  I think she's on to something.  But what do I know?  I'm also reading 50 Shades of Grey by E.L. James.  I knew nothing about this book when my book club selected it.  It's getting a lot of, shall we say, *heated* discussion (read one review here).  Wow.  That's all I've got to say about it.  Wow.

And I'm real glad Aquaman's coming home.              


No comments:

Post a Comment